Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 06:23 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Default Re: Superbowl Picks

From the NFC i like the Giants. From the AFC I like the Ravens

To be honest, before the season started I thought it was going to be Vikings, Patriots.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 06:34 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
From the NFC i like the Giants. From the AFC I like the Ravens

To be honest, before the season started I thought it was going to be Vikings, Patriots.
I like the Ravens, too. I meant to add them. In fact, I would place them in my instead of the Jets.

Peterson looks great and their defense is stout, but I Minnesota doesn't have the passing game needed. Favre isn't anywhere near a star QB anymore and it's all the more obvious that he has only one passing option: the RB.

Michael-They're the Tennessee Titans, if that helps.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 01:08 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Ah yes, hometown favortism eh?

Despite that, I am not a Buffalo Bills fan - that's Toronto's unofficial NFL team.

Its only a matter of time before they move here. They already sell half their tickets in Southern Ontario and play exhibition games in Toronto (plus some regular late-season games as well).
That would be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
I like the Ravens, too. I meant to add them. In fact, I would place them in my instead of the Jets.

Peterson looks great and their defense is stout, but I Minnesota doesn't have the passing game needed. Favre isn't anywhere near a star QB anymore and it's all the more obvious that he has only one passing option: the RB.

FUCK THE RAVENS!

As for prediction, I have no idea who will win. I just cheer for the teams that I like, and if it's two teams that I don't care about, I choose based on geography, colors and mascot.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 05:03 AM
World Citizen

As much as I love the Bucs, they flat out suck. Worst mistake the Glasiers ever made was firing Tony Dungy. That 2003 Suberbowl win was all Tony. Jon Gruden was a loser. Yes, I'm bitter.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 07:20 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
That would be interesting.
What's interesting about it? (I'm just curious)

Buffalo started playing in Toronto last year (couple of exhibition games plus the last game of the season) - they signed a five year deal to do this. Works well since they play at the SkyDome here in Toronto so that means they can play indoors in the last week of December (when Buffalo weather isn't very hospitable).

Toronto has been pushing for an NFL franchise for years. The thing that seems to prevent it is the CFL doesn't like it at all - but Toronto essentially ignores the CFL entirely as some 'mickey mouse' league.

Every football fan I know of in Toronto is a hardcore NFL fan.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 07:48 AM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:

Toronto has been pushing for an NFL franchise for years. The thing that seems to prevent it is the CFL doesn't like it at all - but Toronto essentially ignores the CFL entirely as some 'mickey mouse' league.
That's because the CFL is a mickey mouse league. That's where NFL players go when they piss positive for drugs. It's like "in-school suspension" for amped up football players.

Even Arena League Football has been getting more attention here in the states. When the college football season ends, you can catch AFL games on NBC every Saturday afternoon while the CFL goes unnoticed. That said, I do think ESPN2 just picked up some CFL games. Reminds me of when baseball was big (early '90's) and ESPN would show Japanese games in the MLB off season.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 08:59 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
That's because the CFL is a mickey mouse league. That's where NFL players go when they piss positive for drugs. It's like "in-school suspension" for amped up football players.

Even Arena League Football has been getting more attention here in the states. When the college football season ends, you can catch AFL games on NBC every Saturday afternoon while the CFL goes unnoticed. That said, I do think ESPN2 just picked up some CFL games. Reminds me of when baseball was big (early '90's) and ESPN would show Japanese games in the MLB off season.
The problem in Canada is the CFL is extremely popular in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC. It is dead everywhere else.

They apparently need Toronto to help pay for it all (the league uses 100% revenue sharing I believe).

The CFL figures that if Toronto gets an NFL team they will drop the CFL team and that will cause the CFL to fold. Most football fans in Toronto say "who cares?" to that.

Anyway... Hockey season has also apparently started (September to June season!) and that sport totally dominates up here.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 02:38 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Thanks

What's interesting about it? (I'm just curious)

Buffalo started playing in Toronto last year (couple of exhibition games plus the last game of the season) - they signed a five year deal to do this. Works well since they play at the SkyDome here in Toronto so that means they can play indoors in the last week of December (when Buffalo weather isn't very hospitable).

Every football fan I know of in Toronto is a hardcore NFL fan.
I guess it would just be interesting to have "American Football" become a truly (officially) international sport. I didn't know that they already played up there, actually.

Interesting in a good way.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 03:39 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I guess it would just be interesting to have "American Football" become a truly (officially) international sport. I didn't know that they already played up there, actually.

Interesting in a good way.
What you call American football in fact post-dates the game of rugby football that Canadians developed into Canadian football and has been played her since the 1860s. Granted, the CFL is not as old as the NFL but the trophy of Canadian football, the Grey Cup, dates to 1909. I know all of this only because my home town is in fact the home of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and was the first team on the Grey Cup, being the 1908 champions. Their name was later removed for reasons unknown to me.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 04:00 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
What you call American football in fact post-dates the game of rugby football that Canadians developed into Canadian football and has been played her since the 1860s. Granted, the CFL is not as old as the NFL but the trophy of Canadian football, the Grey Cup, dates to 1909. I know all of this only because my home town is in fact the home of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and was the first team on the Grey Cup, being the 1908 champions. Their name was later removed for reasons unknown to me.
I only use the term because that's how I distinguish it from soccer football when talking to Europeans and Latin Americans.