Forum Games Simple games for amusement.

Old May 17th 2014, 04:23 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Guess The City

For fuck's sake.
Old May 17th 2014, 04:26 PM
Globetrotter

YouYourselfAndYou, on the previous page there's a post (490) which you may not have noticed. I hope you have noticed it.
Old May 17th 2014, 04:34 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I'm discussing the matter with the YouYourselfAndYou who defends the Crimea as rightfully Russian. Not the YouYourselfAndYou who laughs at the fact that Russia illegally took land from a country that has about a third of the population. Could you pass on my post to the first YouYourselfAndYou, please?
He read your post. Frankly, Nick, as far as Ukraine goes, I (he ) expected more from them. You know, after South Ossetia, many people began talking about taking Crimea back. But all the smart guys said, Ukraine is not Georgia, it is a big country almost like us, their army is nearly as strong as ours (as one put it, in a calculation where Russian military is 10/10, Georgia's was, let us say, 1/10 or maybe 2/10; but Ukraine's is around 6 or 7/10, maybe even an 8, so, in any case, they were supposed to be a match for us. I think we all overestimated them, figure a country of that size, what, 45,000,000 people, Europe's biggest territory, and all the resources thereof, would be able to put up some resistance. But they just gave us Crimea. Hid behind the gates of their bases, and then finally ran away, with barely a few shots fired in the air. No wonder many Ukrainians were ashamed of their military after that. Little Georgia actually gave us a real fight for South Ossetia, even managed to knock down a couple of our bombers over Tbilisi. Ukraine's military ran away, like cowards. And now, they have to get civilian volunteers to help them defeat the rebels in Donbass too. In Donetsk, they just had to evacuate their National Guard base, after a bunch of them switched sides and joined the rebels who had surrounded the base. That is National Guard, supposed to be their elite volunteers... Their highest ranking police officer in charge of the anti-terrorist operation, colonel something Lebed, is now a prisoner of the rebels also, was captured couple days ago. The Lugansk rebels leader was able to cross freely through Ukrainian border into Russia to get medical treatment for wounds, and then when he returned, Ukrainian border guards tried to detain him, and 200 armed rebels showed up, laid them all face down on the ground, and left with their boss. The military assistance the border guards kept calling for on the radio never came.

Do not talk to me about "a third of population". With 45,000,000 people, Ukraine could have created a powerful military that would have deterred us from ever messing with them. They could have kept the nuclear weapons they inherited from the USSR, instead of handing them over to us too. They could have been a world power in their own right by now.

Instead, they are what they are, and where they are, thanks to their own complacency and laziness.
Old May 17th 2014, 04:34 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
How about an easier one? Or more hints? Knowledge of Mexican history and/or geography is obviously pretty limited around here.

Btw, I just thought of an amusing city challenge, though I fear it is way too easy: A city named after a man, in a state named after a man, in a country named after a man.
I don't know what city you are looking for, but it could certainly be Pittsburgh.
Old May 17th 2014, 04:37 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
He read your post. Frankly, Nick, as far as Ukraine goes, I (he ) expected more from them. You know, after South Ossetia, many people began talking about taking Crimea back. But all the smart guys said, Ukraine is not Georgia, it is a big country almost like us, their army is nearly as strong as ours (as one put it, in a calculation where Russian military is 10/10, Georgia's was, let us say, 1/10 or maybe 2/10; but Ukraine's is around 6 or 7/10, maybe even an 8, so, in any case, they were supposed to be a match for us. I think we all overestimated them, figure a country of that size, what, 45,000,000 people, Europe's biggest territory, and all the resources thereof, would be able to put up some resistance. But they just gave us Crimea. Hid behind the gates of their bases, and then finally ran away, with barely a few shots fired in the air. No wonder many Ukrainians were ashamed of their military after that. Little Georgia actually gave us a real fight for South Ossetia, even managed to knock down a couple of our bombers over Tbilisi. Ukraine's military ran away, like cowards. And now, they have to get civilian volunteers to help them defeat the rebels in Donbass too. In Donetsk, they just had to evacuate their National Guard base, after a bunch of them switched sides and joined the rebels who had surrounded the base. That is National Guard, supposed to be their elite volunteers... Their highest ranking police officer in charge of the anti-terrorist operation, colonel something Lebed, is now a prisoner of the rebels also, was captured couple days ago. The Lugansk rebels leader was able to cross freely through Ukrainian border into Russia to get medical treatment for wounds, and then when he returned, Ukrainian border guards tried to detain him, and 200 armed rebels showed up, laid them all face down on the ground, and left with their boss. The military assistance the border guards kept calling for on the radio never came.

Do not talk to me about "a third of population". With 45,000,000 people, Ukraine could have created a powerful military that would have deterred us from ever messing with them. They could have kept the nuclear weapons they inherited from the USSR, instead of handing them over to us too. They could have been a world power in their own right by now.

Instead, they are what they are, and where they are, thanks to their own complacency and laziness.
Thank you both.
Old May 18th 2014, 09:15 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I guess people won't get it unless they google, so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolores_Hidalgo
I'd never heard of the episode or that city. Interesting reading.

I was just about to search it myself.
Old May 18th 2014, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I don't know what city you are looking for, but it could certainly be Pittsburgh.
Indeed, that's the place I was thinking of.

William Pitt, William Penn and Amerigo Vespucci.
Old May 18th 2014, 09:22 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Okay, the city is Vladimir (named after a man, Duke Vladimir), the state is Vladimir oblast (again, named after Vladimir), and the country is Russia (also named after a man, sort of, a legendary man called Rus, one of the brothers that founded all the Slavic nations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lech,_%C4%8Cech,_and_Rus)

Interesting, though I'm familiar with the term of "Rus" being used as a generic term all along. I believe it has close associations with the Viking/Swedes who were early conquerors and traders in northwestern Russia (9th-10th century) particularly in the Novgorod region. I've never really been able to determine if the term "Rus" applied to the conquerors or the particular people they conquered.

There is extensive evidence of Viking trade/plunder with lots of Arabic silver coinage from Samarkland and Tashkent located in Swedish-Viking archeological sites from the 9th and 10th century AD. They traveled the Russian river systems to get there and to the Black Sea and Constantinople in the very early 10th century.
Old May 18th 2014, 09:47 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Interesting, though I'm familiar with the term of "Rus" being used as a generic term all along. I believe it has close associations with the Viking/Swedes who were early conquerors and traders in northwestern Russia (9th-10th century) particularly in the Novgorod region. I've never really been able to determine if the term "Rus" applied to the conquerors or the particular people they conquered.

There is extensive evidence of Viking trade/plunder with lots of Arabic silver coinage from Samarkland and Tashkent located in Swedish-Viking archeological sites from the 9th and 10th century AD. They traveled the Russian river systems to get there and to the Black Sea and Constantinople in the very early 10th century.
Yes, I wonder if the legendary Rurik's Rus Vikings' being called 'Rus' just like that one member of the three Slavic brothers is only a coincidence. I wonder if HimHimselfAndHe will shed more light on the unlikely suggestion that it is only a coincidence.
Old May 18th 2014, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Yes, I wonder if the legendary Rurik's Rus Vikings' being called 'Rus' just like that one member of the three Slavic brothers is only a coincidence. I wonder if HimHimselfAndHe will shed more light on the unlikely suggestion that it is only a coincidence.
One is actual history. The other is Slavic legend. You decide.