Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Mar 24th 2012, 02:29 PM
Globetrotter

Default ESP

I just finished reading Carl Jung essay on sychronicity. I have been fascinated by this phenomenon for a long time and indeed just today observed another such instance. For those of you who don't know the phenomena is the nomenclature given to coincidences which have associate meaning. For example, a person trying to guess cards which are being chosen at random and being right 99 percent of the times, or you thinking or dreaming about something and the next day it happening.
Very intersting, and so far unexplainable.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 02:47 PM
Citizen

Default Re: ESP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
I just finished reading Carl Jung essay on sychronicity. I have been fascinated by this phenomenon for a long time and indeed just today observed another such instance. For those of you who don't know the phenomena is the nomenclature given to coincidences which have associate meaning. For example, a person trying to guess cards which are being chosen at random and being right 99 percent of the times, or you thinking or dreaming about something and the next day it happening.
I read an article in the paper a few years ago about this sort of thing, too. Apparently, when people were given "today's" and "yesterday's" crossword puzzles, they consistently performed significantly better on "yesterday's"; the phenomenon was attributed to the answers being 'out there' in some form already in a shared consciousness.

I think that all sounds kind of silly, but also kind of cool.

I fairly often experience synchronicity in the example of having a dream and the next day (or after a couple days) it happens - say once a week or so. However, one thing I've noticed is that I don't make the connection "hey, this was a dream" until after the event occurs: so it's not as if we all have some science-fiction sense of precognition that we can tap into.

My assumption has always been that I didn't actually dream the future, but some events trigger memory unconsciously and only seem like real deja vu. I think that one mistake that's easy to overlook when thinking about these kinds of issues is that even though we colloquially take human experience to be objective in order to get on with our lives, human experience simply isn't. Just because I'm certain I've dreamt this exact experience doesn't mean that, in fact, I did.

Arthur Koestler is a favourite author of mine, and he wrote a cool book The Roots of Coincidence, which deals with things like synchronicity, telepathy, telekinesis, etc. It's really interesting, but ultimately I think it's kind of silly.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 02:49 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suibhne View Post
I read an article in the paper a few years ago about this sort of thing, too. Apparently, when people were given "today's" and "yesterday's" crossword puzzles, they consistently performed significantly better on "yesterday's"; the phenomenon was attributed to the answers being 'out there' in some form already in a shared consciousness.

I think that all sounds kind of silly, but also kind of cool.

I fairly often experience synchronicity in the example of having a dream and the next day (or after a couple days) it happens - say once a week or so. However, one thing I've noticed is that I don't make the connection "hey, this was a dream" until after the event occurs: so it's not as if we all have some science-fiction sense of precognition that we can tap into.

My assumption has always been that I didn't actually dream the future, but some events trigger memory unconsciously and only seem like real deja vu. I think that one mistake that's easy to overlook when thinking about these kinds of issues is that even though we colloquially take human experience to be objective in order to get on with our lives, human experience simply isn't. Just because I'm certain I've dreamt this exact experience doesn't mean that, in fact, I did.

Arthur Koestler is a favourite author of mine, and he wrote a cool book The Roots of Coincidence, which deals with things like synchronicity, telepathy, telekinesis, etc. It's really interesting, but ultimately I think it's kind of silly.
I don't think it is silly at all. And my beliefs were validated when I found out that a very respectable psychologist has worked on it with a founder of quantum mechsnics. These phenomena happen often and they have no explanation, I think research into it can give us important insights into the nature of existence.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Cayce

Edgar Cayce is probably the world's most 'reputable' psychic claims.