Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Aug 25th 2011, 07:12 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Russian National Football Team wives and gir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Fakery is so much cheaper.

And with hardcore/tribal fans, quality seems to be irrelevant (its all about membership of the tribe!).
Well, look at the last photo,

I suppose they thought it was, indeed as you say, too expensive and bothersome, to try to have a thousand real fans come and hold up a giant portrait of Andrei Arshavin.

I think they would have though. Especially in Saint Petersburg. Arshavin is hero over there
Old Aug 25th 2011, 07:30 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Well, look at the last photo,

I suppose they thought it was, indeed as you say, too expensive and bothersome, to try to have a thousand real fans come and hold up a giant portrait of Andrei Arshavin.

I think they would have though. Especially in Saint Petersburg. Arshavin is hero over there
Hmmm. It's of no significance, but I'd wager that most people who search for these images aren't terribly interested in what the people in the background are doing...

And, I have to admit, I had a moment of thinking "There are fans in that picture?" myself,
Old Aug 25th 2011, 11:52 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Didn't you create a thread about Scandinavia based on the idea that being more or less religious didn't make a society more or less moral?
Yes, I did.
But this thread is about Russia and a specific indication that Russians are getting less, rather than more, religious. That is why I am speaking about that here.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 07:08 AM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Yes, I did.
But this thread is about Russia and a specific indication that Russians are getting less, rather than more, religious. That is why I am speaking about that here.
So there isn't a link between religion and morality and Scandinavia but there is one in Russia?

What if more Russians than ever are going to church, engaging in religious rituals, and finding meaning in religious doctrine? Would you really say that none of that counts because a sports team made a girlie poster? Are you really going to judge the religiosity of a whole nation based on one companies marketing tactics? Or are you just trying to be argumentative?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 07:54 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
So there isn't a link between religion and morality and Scandinavia but there is one in Russia?

What if more Russians than ever are going to church, engaging in religious rituals, and finding meaning in religious doctrine? Would you really say that none of that counts because a sports team made a girlie poster? Are you really going to judge the religiosity of a whole nation based on one companies marketing tactics? Or are you just trying to be argumentative?
I didn't bring morality into it - I brought in adherence to rules. If a rule is immoral, then it's more moral not to adhere to it.

I tnink you and donkey have not understood my complete point, but that could be my fault for not explaining.

I think you can be perfectly religious, and yet ignore certain rules in the holy script, which you deem pointless. For example, I think you can be...
...an alcohol-drinking Muslim
...a gay Christian
...a Christian who tells his Aunt that he likes the reindeer tie she gave him for Christmas
...a Christian in an open relationship
...a football boot wearing hindu
...a rich Christian even (and you didn't mention rich people in front of Jesus if you were pressed for time)
...and, indeed, a Christian who looks at sexy calendars with Russian footballers' wives with implants.

However, you can be none of the above if you go around using your religion to judge other people. This is what I call aggressive religion.

And it is my understanding that it is this kind of 'aggressive' religion, which MeMyselfandI is referring to when he says that Russia is getting every more religious.

I would not be acting like a smart-arse, if I thought the new religious wave, which MeMyselfandI claims is sweeping Russia, was a loving kind of religion.

In short, look at the sexy calendar and be a Christian,
but don't look at the sexy calendar and be a Christian who judges others for not adhering to scripture.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 08:17 AM
Resident Historian

Quote:
I didn't bring morality into it - I brought in adherence to rules. If a rule is immoral, then it's more moral not to adhere to it.

I tnink you and donkey have not understood my complete point, but that could be my fault for not explaining.

I think you can be perfectly religious, and yet ignore certain rules in the holy script, which you deem pointless. For example, I think you can be...
...an alcohol-drinking Muslim
...a gay Christian
...a Christian who tells his Aunt that he likes the reindeer tie she gave him for Christmas
...a Christian in an open relationship
...a football boot wearing hindu
...a rich Christian even (and you didn't mention rich people in front of Jesus if you were pressed for time)
...and, indeed, a Christian who looks at sexy calendars with Russian footballers' wives with implants.

However, you can be none of the above if you go around using your religion to judge other people. This is what I call aggressive religion.

And it is my understanding that it is this kind of 'aggressive' religion, which MeMyselfandI is referring to when he says that Russia is getting every more religious.

I would not be acting like a smart-arse, if I thought the new religious wave, which MeMyselfandI claims is sweeping Russia, was a loving kind of religion.

In short, look at the sexy calendar and be a Christian,
but don't look at the sexy calendar and be a Christian who judges others for not adhering to scripture.
So then maybe Russia is becoming more religious, as MMI claims, just not the sort of religious you like?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 08:25 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
So then maybe Russia is becoming more religious, as MMI claims, just not the sort of religious you like?
What I like is immaterial.
But if a person who doesn't live according to scripture, chooses to judge other people for not living according to scripture, then I'll highlight it.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:01 AM
Resident Historian

Quote:
What I like is immaterial.
But if a person who doesn't live according to scripture, chooses to judge other people for not living according to scripture, then I'll highlight it.
Unless I'm mistaken, you don't try to live "according to scripture" and yet seem pretty devoted to judging these other people when they don't live up to your interpretation of what scripture says. Shouldn't you be highlighting yourself?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:58 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken, you don't try to live "according to scripture" and yet seem pretty devoted to judging these other people when they don't live up to your interpretation of what scripture says. Shouldn't you be highlighting yourself?
I'm not a Christian.
And I don't judge.
I simply highlight states of affairs which I deem of interest to the public.

One of those states of affairs is when a person condemns another person for doing something which is against scripture, and then that same person does something against scripture.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 01:42 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
I'm not a Christian.
And I don't judge.
I simply highlight states of affairs which I deem of interest to the public.

One of those states of affairs is when a person condemns another person for doing something which is against scripture, and then that same person does something against scripture.
But you are judging. You have to judge what is and isn't abiding by scripture.