View Single Post
Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:08 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Future Science & Technology

I suppose I should come clean about my ulterior motives in this thread. I am dabbling with the idea of writing a science fiction type novel, so I'm toying with some ideas about space and the potential for space travel over the course of the next half-dozen centuries.

I've always been intrigued by the idea of earth-based society growing ever larger and outwards into the solar system and to the stars beyond. I like to speculate about the relative near-term beginnings of the process, rather than just skip ahead a few thousand years when everything was already invented or established long ago. That being said, I really would like to have space-travel technology for a science fiction novel. I'm just trying to think of the best way to handle the idea of it.

Being the student of history that I am, I'm intrigued by the idea of making up future history for amusement and entertainment - and perhaps the setting of a galactic space novel. So that's the origin of this thread (reading Dune does this to me!).

Anyone got any more ideas?